Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Katrina cleanup article

Back in 2005 I spent 3 months in New Orleans working on initial-phase recovery efforts after Hurricane Katrina. A while after returning I did some research on the city’s cleanup efforts and then wrote a paper about it. Eventually I submitted that paper to an academic journal and after various peer reviews it was accepted for publication, pending my replies to reviewer comments. So I’m happy to report that at long last my work on this project is done: the reviewing and revisions are complete and actual publication is at-hand.

My article is titled “Cleaning up New Orleans: the impact of a missing population on disaster debris removal” and it will appear in the upcoming March/April 2009 issue of Journal of Emergency Management (Vol. 7, No. 2).

I’d love to tell you where to get a copy, but I don’t really know. Where are academic journals sold? But if you’re interested, here’s the JEM homepage—a good place to start: http://www.pnpco.com/pn06001.html

Also, if you still want a copy of the May 2008 issue of Subtropics, the literary journal that published one of my nonfiction essays, here’s their website: http://www.english.ufl.edu/subtropics/

No comments: