Thursday, April 23, 2009

me, you, and 13,000 close friends

The highlight of our Cape Town trip was our participation in city’s Two Oceans Marathon. We ran the 1/2 marathon (21km or 13.1 miles). Over 13,000 people ran the 1/2, which meant that we ran in a huge crowd for the first 7km or so. When we reached the hilly portion of the course it was easier to maintain a regular pace, as the crowd thinned out a bit. This was Jamie-girl’s third 1/2 marathon (New Zealand and Tacoma were the others) and my first. Our friend and fellow Swaziland-PCV, Jason, joined us on the course, and we were met at the finish line by his wife (also a PCV), Erika. We all had a great time running together, despite having to get up at 3am on race day.

Turns out, I (Jamie-boy) didn’t have too much difficulty running the distance. I enjoyed myself—which I never imagined possible. In fact, us Jamies plan to enter another 1/2 marathon event before returning to the States, this one at Victoria Falls in 2010 (the course looks amazing).

Get this: the morning AFTER race day, Jamie-girl got up and… went for a brisk run. Needless to say, I stayed in bed.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Congrats on your first 1/2 marathon J-boy! And congrats on finishing and not swearing you'll never do another. The Vancouver, BC 1/2 was this past weekend and me and a few friends from Seattle ran the beautiful course. One of my favorite moments was just before the one, long and winding hill in Stanley Park as I was passing a very elderly gentleman who was running nearly bent in half. He looked up and turned to me and said "Ah, the hill. I know this hill well". And then with a narrowing of his eyes he put his head down and carried on.

As for lady J, I'm not suprised to hear she was up and running the next morning. She is a force all her own. Perhaps we can all run one together at some point. I'm still trying to get Greg to live up to his Kenyan roots and enter a long distance race.

We miss you both!